posted Nov 4, 2015, 10:40 AM by Webmaster Queen Anne Cub Scouts
updated Nov 9, 2015, 4:09 PM
The 2015 Rain Gutter Regatta will be Monday night Nov. 5. 6:30 - 8:00 PM
6:30 Practice 7:00 Races begin
Get your Rain Gutter Regatta Catamaran Boat Kit from your den leader, OR, from Jeff Coombs' back porch 1808 9th Ave W
Raingutter Regatta volunteers needed! Please contact Leigh Chapple if you can help.
firstname.lastname@example.org Text or call her mobile 678.427.8747
- Event setup volunteers - 5 volunteers to help setup tables, rain-gutters and do the water carrying. Arrive before the event, 5:30pm.
- Registration - 2 volunteers to run check-in for the boats. Arrive at 6pm.
- Runners - A parent from each den will be needed to run results to our scorekeeper.
- Breakdown - Many volunteers to help with breakdown, the more the quicker!
Raingutter Regatta agenda and rules:
- Check-in – Each Cub Scout registers their boat and gets a “group assignment”
- Opening – Flag Ceremony, Pledge of Allegiance, Scout Law
- The Race - Raingutter Regatta races begin with den level races and pack finals
- Closing – Winners announced
- Use materials from your BSA Raingutter Regatta kit.
- Materials from the BSA kit may be modified, however, other sail, keel and rudder material may not be used.
- Maximum boat length is 7 inches.
- Minimum boat length is 6 inches.
- Mast height: no higher than 6 1⁄2 from desk to top.
- Attach all parts, accessories and decals securely to the boat.
- Waxing boat bottom is authorized.
- There will be no min/max weight limit, however, heaver is not better (opposite from Pinewood Derby rules).
Race Day Rules:
- Cub Scouts must register their boats at the check-in table.
- All boats will be secured in the race area after check-in.
- Boats may not be touched or modified upon entering.
- Racers may not touch any part of the boat or water during the race, unless it is to right a capsized boat and den leader must be made aware.
- The boats race in pairs on raingutter courses propelled by the boys blowing into the sails with a drink straw or without.
- The rain gutters are 10 foot lengths of standard aluminum rain gutters that are filled with water.
Ryan and Leigh Chapple